Slow Cooker Turkey
Shared from whole30recipes on Instagram
- 4 pounds bone in, skinless turkey thighs rinsed, & pat dry
- dates + 1/2 cup of apple juice; blended
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil, as needed (brown meat and onions)
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups of homemade/compliant stock
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Season the turkey thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat avocado oil in large pan and brown the turkey thighs for ~3 minutes/side. Once browned, remove and place in slow cooker.
- Put one large sliced onion into the pan with the remaining oil/browned bits of meat and cook until translucent then add to slow cooker.
- In blender, or food processor, mix up to 4 dates and apple juice. Transfer to saucepan and whisk together wht the stock, yellow mustard, mustard powder, cayenne, salt/pepper. Simmer for a moment, adjust seasoning to your taste, and then pour over the contents of the slow cooker. Add in bay leaf if you have it!
- Cook on low for ~5 hours.
- Remove turkey thighs from slow cooker. Mix in the dijon mustard and return turkey thighs back in.