Archive For: Community

Athlete Spotlight: Margot W. (2/3)

IMG_0488
Do you have a favorite exercise movement? Least favorite?
Favorite – power cleans; Least favorite – running

What’s your most recent PR?
70kg snatch in May!  

Do you check the workout before coming in or do you just show up? 
I always check the workout before coming in. I like knowing what to expect and what to eat/not eat in the afternoon before a workout ie. Don’t eat certain foods before lots of running and/or burpees.

If you were to have encouragement or advice for new people trying CrossFit, what would you say?
Definitely have an open mind. But, most importantly have patience, many of the movements aren’t going to come to you overnight. Just keeping working at it.

What fitness goals have you set for yourself to achieve in 2016? 
I have a few injuries I’m dealing with right now, so my current goal is to figure out what I need to do for rehab and modify (as needed) the workouts every day.

When & when did you take your last vacation? 
I took a very long winter vacation and spent 5 months backpacking in South America. I was gone November – March and went to Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, and Argentina. It was the trip of a lifetime. Since my return, my coworkers have told me I’m not allowed to go on vacation for a very long time.

IMG_9368

Do you have a favorite place to travel to? 
My favorite place to travel to is a place I have never been before. I love exploring new places and learning about different cultures and history, a big city or remote wilderness, or anything in between.

Athlete Spotlight: Margot W. (1/3)

Get to know Margot W!

IMG_0305

Where are you from/where do you consider home? 
Reno, NV – the biggest little city in the world!

What do you do for work?
Business consulting with EY

Do you have a favorite part about your job? 
My team – I work with a really great group of people. We work hard, but have a lot of fun throughout the day.

What does a typical weekend look like for you? 
Champagne Friday at FCF! On Saturdays I’m either back at the gym for Level 2 or on a hike somewhere. I spend the rest of the weekend hanging out with friends.

Tell us about how you got into CrossFit!
I was an athlete in college and have always loved playing team sports. When I moved to Seattle in 2012, I was playing volleyball 2-3 times a week. But after a skiing accident in 2013, I had ACL reconstruction surgery. I was too scared to go back to playing volleyball, but missed the team sport environment. I had been interested in CrossFit for a while before the injury, but now I finally had the time to try it. I started CrossFit in November 2013 (at FCF) 6 months post op and have been hooked ever since.

(null)

What was your experience in joining our gym?
Everyone was so welcoming. I was amazed that the coaches knew my name within 2 Foundations sessions. Since I started CrossFit still in rehab from my knee surgery, it was really important to me that I progress slowly and modify certain workouts until I could get my confidence back. Each coach was (and still is) so helpful in coming up with unique ways to scale or modify (shout out to Zeb for laughing at me and making me do lunging wallballs… and most recently Andrew for the kettlebell diggers dance I did on my 27th birthday, refer to Instagram video).

Since you started CrossFit, have you changed your nutrition? How was it before and what do you do now?   
I wouldn’t say I’ve changed my nutrition too much. I am very interested in food, nutrition, and how different foods affect my body and performance. But, since starting CrossFit I have played more with nutrient timing and including/excluding certain foods to continue to understand what works best for me.

Our next on-ramp begins September 13th!

Our next on-ramp Foundations Program begins Tuesday, September 13th.  The complete program is a 12-class, 4-week course where we build (or rebuild) your “training toolbox” according to our methodology and get you ready to enter our regular CrossFit classes. Register here!

13662206_1166801673391761_3739297794153085208_o

Get a taste of what we offer this Saturday,  September 10th at Noon for our free Community CrossFit Class!** Sign up under events!

We are offering the following Foundations Program course options:

• Morning – 7 AM on Tuesdays & Thursdays. Saturdays 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM.
  • Mid-day – 12 PM on Tuesdays & Thursdays. Saturdays at 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM.
  • Evening – 7:30 PM on Tuesdays & Thursdays. Saturdays at 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM.
Further details about the program are here. You can register for the program here.

fcfxgb2015_0041

Our Foundations Program is geared towards the seasoned athlete who has never done CF to the beginner who has never touched a barbell. Completion of the full Foundations course will get you up to speed to join our array of classes.

Remember, if you’re a current athlete with us and refer a friend and you’ll both receive a $25 credit towards your memberships!

*All prices listed subject to sales tax.

** Saturday is also Andrew’s Birthday, so we’re going to celebrate ALL MORNING!!

Saturday at Noon – new Community CrossFit Class!

We are now offering free Community CrossFit Classes! These will be scheduled leading up to our on-ramp Foundations Programs. The purpose of these classes is to introduce interested athletes to our methodology, our community, and CrossFit. We invite you, our members, to join us! It’s a great opportunity for you to bring a friend and show them what FCF has to offer!!

• Upcoming Community CrossFit Classes:
  • Saturday, August 27th at Noon
  • Saturday, September 10th at Noon*
  • These class are open to members & non-members, experienced & non-experienced CrossFit Athletes. We will keep the workouts approachable and relatively non-technical, but most importantly, fun! Don’t we look like a fun group!?

13662206_1166801673391761_3739297794153085208_o

You can RSVP via Events, as a Class, or just show up! Members who RSVP to the class, we will return the class to you so that it doesn’t count against you.

Our next on-Ramp Foundations Program will run September 13th through October 8th. Check here for details.

* We will be celebrating Andrew’s birthday after class on 9/10. Join us!

Athlete Spotlight: Brian C. (3/3)

905422_651151058290161_1654134678_o

As a kid, what was your ideal dream job?
I wanted to play for the Seattle Supersonics. I grew up watching the Sonics play and I spent much of my time in my backyard just playing basketball and creating scenarios in my head about hitting game winners. (I still create these scenarios whenever I have a court to myself).

What are your top three favorite movies?
The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, and my all time favorite Heavyweights. It’s about kids going to fat camp. I was pretty big when I was younger and I wanted to Perkisize before I ever did CrossFit.

Do you have a power song? What gets you pumped up?
Hip-hop music really gets me pumped so anything by Future (sorry Russ) or something produced by DJ Mustard is cool with me before I work out. I actually prefer listening to dance music when I work out or run because the tempo is easier to incorporate into whatever I’m doing.

859438_541365102602091_131192588_o

Any fun facts about yourself that your gym-mates don’t know about you (you can share anything here)?
I am currently watching the following shows: The Night Of, Mr. Robot, and Last Chance U. I have like 30 pairs of shoes just for basketball. I hate cilantro. I really like gadgets and tech stuff.

What outside-the-gym activities you like to participate in?
It’s still in a gym, but I spend a lot of my time with basketball. CrossFit has definitely helped my game and I can still keep up with guys that are almost 10 years younger than me. Other than that, I try to play video games (currently still on Fallout 4) and read books. Most books I read are mystery/thrillers or post-apocalyptic end of the world types of books.

Quote to live by?
“Yesterday you said tomorrow”

Who inspires you?
So many people! Ann-Marie inspires me to be the best person I can be because she pushes me out of my comfort zone and has helped me become better in so many ways. I have some amazing friends from college doing great things in their lives and they push me to continue to grow. At FCF, I try to get to that MarkBobbyNathanAndrew level, Sandi Pants during the open as the best cheerleader/judge ever, and so many of the other athletes that I have had the pleasure of struggling through (and also killing) workouts with the past 3+ years. Professionally, it’s all about the kids and making sure they can go on to where they want to go and make their parents/guardians/family/friends proud.

921456_10104944191093318_1592953548172512494_o

Athlete Spotlight: Brian C. (2/3)

Get to know Brian C. part two! If you missed Brian’s first post, you can read it HERE.

12823254_1052855648119698_1316946470351927362_o

If you were to have encouragement or advice for new people trying CrossFit, what would you say?
Go for it! Half the battle (to anything) is just showing up. The people in the CF community are so supportive and you are probably a lot better at lifts, exercises, and movements than you think. As far as advice, MOBILIZE and stretch, take care of your soreness, drink enough water to stay hydrated before and after a WOD, and eat!

What fitness goals have you set for yourself to achieve in 2016?
I had two big goals for 2016 and that was to race in my first ever ½ marathon and also complete my 500th WOD at the gym. I achieved both as I did the Seattle Rock ‘n’ Roll ½ marathon in June and my 500th WOD at the end of July. I am looking forward to competing in my first CrossFit competition before the end of the year, and that will most likely be the Festivus Games in October.

When & where did you take your last vacation?
Last summer I went to Hawaii for the first time and visited the island of Oahu. I was able to go hiking, lay on the beach, and eat sooo many pancakes. It was cool to do absolutely nothing for 10 days.

Do you have a favorite place to travel to?
The only place I’ve been outside of the states is Japan and last summer I was able to travel all over the country. Some of the places that stuck out to me were definitely Kobe, Hiroshima, and Miyajima Island. Even though I was working, I was able to have some free time where I got to explore and just get lost. The people in Japan are some of the most friendly I’ve ever met, and there are vending machines everywhere! I didn’t get to go to Tokyo, but the Olympics in 2020 are around the corner and I would not mind at all going back.

What’s your favorite place to go out for dinner?
I don’t necessarily have a favorite place but I always end up getting food from Manao Thai Street Eats here in Cap Hill. If its after 1am and I’m out, I’m ordering a Li’l Woody burger and onion rings or a slice of Pesto from Hot Mama’s!

If you could have any super power, what would it be?
Telekinesis! Word to Eleven from Stranger Things. It would be cool because I would be the greatest shooter in basketball, most accurate QB, and strongest Olympic lifter in the world. Plus moving would be so much easier.

12768151_1046994745372455_2279432885778529950_o

Athlete Spotlight: Brian C. (1/3)

Get to know Brian C.

1236345_550491081689493_2144506477_n

Where are you from/where do you consider home?
I was born and raised in Tacoma, WA but I consider Seattle home ever since I moved here for college. Go Huskies!!

What do you do for work?
I make dreams into a reality for kids in high school. I work specifically with low income and underserved youth in 11th and 12th grade as a college advisor and do what I can to get them to learn about, apply, and go to college or have some type of post high school plan. I work to match them up with mentors and make sure they understand that college is something that they can actually do and be successful.

Do you have a favorite part about your job?
My favorite part about what I do is that I work in a school, and every single day is different because I get to interact with so many people. High school students are a special bunch, and I’m just glad that I’m there to help them make positive decisions. I recently saw the first group of students I worked with graduate this past Spring and it was one of the greatest feelings to see them and their families achieve that milestone in life.

What does a typical weekend look like for you?
My weekends usually consist of going to FCF on Friday or Saturday and also playing in a basketball league on Sundays. There is always a family gathering or catching up with friends that is going on so I’m always busy. Ann-Marie and I also prepare for the week on Sunday (food prep, laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping) so I really enjoy the rare times when I have absolutely nothing to do. If I have nothing to do I’m probably playing video games, binge watching a series on Netflix, or trying to learn something new.

Tell us about how you got into CrossFit!
I started with FCF when it was in the smaller gym next door back in December of 2012. I knew Andrew and Sheena, (and Mark B, and Paolo S) and Ann-Marie somehow got me signed up for an orientation. My main goal was to just be a better overall basketball player by becoming stronger and faster and that’s how I got into it.

1016628_518848598187075_1313392333_n

What was your experience in joining our gym?
I really liked the Foundations classes when I started. I appreciated being able to properly learn how to do things and being able to do things scaled. I never really worked out in high school (or college), I pretty much just played basketball, so it was great to see that there were many others in the same position learning along with me.

Since you started CrossFit, have you changed your nutrition? How was it before and what do you do now?
Yes! I feel that I understand my body a lot more and one of the biggest things that I’ve looked into is my diet. I’ve done Whole 30 before, I’ve done Paleo, I have counted my macros bro. I believe the biggest change is that I control my portions and no longer eat like I don’t know where my next meal will come from. It’s been like 4 years since I’ve eaten at a fast food restaurant chain (why would I with so many better places around Seattle?) and I don’t think I will any time soon. I eat whatever I want, just better at controlling it unless its donuts, blueberry lemon custard ice cream, or birthday cake cookies from Hello Robin.

Do you have a favorite exercise movement? Least favorite?
I grew to like all the “tall people” movements like wall balls because it is kind of like shooting a basketball and rowing because I can do one pull per calorie (almost). My least favorite is a tie between thrusters and sotts press because my arms are long and that bar gotta travel so much.

What’s your most recent PR?
My most recent PR was my 500th workout!! Other than that I think I PR’d my clean during one of the barbell club workouts.

Do you check the workout before coming in or do you just show up?
I used to check the workouts and cherry pick, then I stopped because I was giving myself too many excuses to not show up. I check them now because I want to be able to physically prepare (warm up properly) and mentally prepare by hyping myself up if it’s something like a Hero or Open workout.

Athlete Spotlight: Monica T. (3/3)

IMG_3722_1024

When & where did you take your last vacation?
I went camping in Whistler last month & went zip lining. Next trip is to Japan in the fall.

A little bird told me you surprised your boyfriend with the trip to Japan.. can you tell us more?
Oh boy, was that a fun one to plan! Tim & I have talked about going to Japan in the past, but it’s always been with the mindset of “someday”. Well on one fateful day in April, I decided to take matters into my own hands and give that “someday” an exact date. With the help of his very generous & amazing family, I found a flight, promised myself a day of feasting on french fries if I successfully held the secret in & booked the trip! Fast forward to July 1st: I organized a big group to celebrate his birthday at a Mariners game & displayed a birthday message for him on the scoreboard at the end of one of the innings. At the bottom of the message it read: “We’re going 2 Japan” (I wasn’t trying to be hip by using “2”… it just wouldn’t fit. I just wanted to clarify that for my fellow grammar Nazis). I made a fun plane ticket with all the details on it to help him process the information (as I was clearly anticipating him to be in a state of shock at this point). To add a bit more of an special touch, I had a personalized Snapchat geofilter available while we were at the stadium. A HUGE thank you goes out to our own Nathan M. for designing the graphic!!! He did an amazing job interpreting my ideas into the final product. Overall, the surprise was a (cue Borat) “GREAT SUCCESS” & I’m very excited to do some major planning for our upcoming adventure.

IMG_2633

What are you looking forward to most in Japan?
It would be easier to list what I’m NOT looking forward to (ie: toilets on the floor that I’ve appropriately dubbed “floor toilet”). Joking aside, besides the obvious answer of food, sights & shopping, I am looking forward to being back in the country I left 15 years ago to experience the culture & hospitality I remember. Also, I’d like to see a monkey. You know… one of those Japanese macaques that you’ve seen in a meme where he’s holding a cell phone while bathing in a hot spring. Don’t act like you’ve never seen it.

What are your top three favorite movies?
I fall asleep to a majority of every movie I watch. So I only have 1 to list… and it’s Inglorious Basterds.

Any fun facts about yourself that your gym-mates don’t know about you?
I sang in a Vocal Jazz Ensemble in high school, I have a black belt in Taekwondo, I was in a youth bowling league growing up, I don’t eat seafood, I travel out of country every year, coffee makes me paranoid, I may have been a ballroom dancer in my past life & I think the best feeling is cutting into a steak to see that you’ve cooked it to absolute perfection.

Follow up question: do you still practice Taekwondo?
Sadly, no. But sometimes when there’s alcohol involved, I have been known to randomly bust out a roundhouse or back kick. I’ll say this much… I’ve still got it.

IMG_2725

I hear you’re a karaoke queen. What’s your go-to karaoke song? You can name top 3!
1.) At Last by Etta James
2.) Valerie by Mark Ronson/Amy Winehouse (bonus if it’s the acoustic version)
3.) Don’t Let Go by En Vogue

Tell us about your two dogs!
Who would I be without my dogs?!! Baxter is a shar-pei/pug mix who likes to scratch his dog bed before he goes to bed at night, looks like he skips leg day (swole in front, teeny back end) & has a deep hatred for horses. Don’t let his looks fool you… he just turned 8 years old on the 10th. Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to what breed Nova is. She was built to swim long distances, loves to put her face up against your face (preferably the mouth area) & sticks her butt up in the air to attract attention (who knows who she learned that from…. *insert smug emoji face here*). You’ll often see Nova in the gym over Baxter as he has some anxiety issues he needs to work through but they both mean the world to me… life wouldn’t be as amusing without them.

FullSizeRender (1)